COLLEGE STATION, Texas (AP) - A socks celebration has been planned in Texas for the 89th birthday of former President George H.W. Bush of Houston.
Visitors to Bush's presidential library in College Station are urged to wear "exuberant socks" Wednesday on his birthday. Bush in recent years has taken to wearing colorful socks in public.
Officials with the George Bush Presidential Library Foundation also want people with outlandish socks to post photos online. Select pictures will be sent to the 41st president.
A Bush spokesman said Tuesday that the former president will celebrate with his family in Kennebunkport, Maine. Bush's wife, Barbara, turned 88 years old on Saturday. Relatives are marking both birthdays.
Bush spent nearly two months hospitalized in Houston for treatment of bronchitis-related cough before he was discharged in January.
- Updated Police identify victim in west Abilene homicide
- LIVE FBI reviewing new emails in Clinton classified information probe
- Parents charged after toddler dies in Texas house fire
- Wife of Texas teacher charged in 2 deaths accused of tampering
- Police: Texas college student rams squad car while taking topless selfie
- Brown County commissioners approve sale of old sheriff's office and jail
- Brownwood seeking community input on proposed dog park
- Police: Driver flees after crashing into Early apartment, found at liquor store
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Inaugural Barktoberfest taking place Saturday seeks to help Brownwood youth
- Teen killed in Coleman County motorcycle-truck crash
- Teacher Tribute: First-year Wylie teacher receives season's first honor
- Brookesmith school board selects interim superintendent
- Victim testifies against former chief in Anson sexual assault trial
- Clyde Intermediate School teachers save student from choking