ABILENE, Texas - A handful of the projects included in the 2015 bond program have already been finished, including Adventure Cove and several street fixes, but there's still a few major projects left to be done.
Director of Capital Improvements Wayne Lisenbee said the Abilene Police Department's evidence and records facility will soon make its way to the old Kmart on South First Street.
"Probably going to start construction on the Kmart job next summer, probably in the May time frame, and then looking to move into Kmart later 2018, early 2019," Lisenbee said.
Fire Station 4 is almost finished, and the city expects two others, Fire Stations 3 and 7, to be built by March.
Major runways at the airport have been redone, and now they're working on security upgrades.
In addition to Adventure Cove, the city finished two splash pads and will gain another two, one at Red Bud Park and another at Sears Park. They'll be done by spring.
The city is currently selecting a location for phase two of a project to build more sidewalks.
Lisenbee told us it will be another two or three years before all the street projects in the bond program are finished. Construction on Ambler Avenue should wrap up in the next month, according to Lisenbee.
The city received good news for the Cedar Creek Trail project.
"There's a trail, a hike and bike plan for the city, if you will. This is one of the strategic locations that we felt like we could really encourage the public to get out, exercise, to do physical fitness activities," Lisenbee said.
"One of the big hurdles that we needed to overcome was getting permission from the railroad to be able to cross under it. We received that permission a week or two ago," said Director of Community Services Lesli Andrews.
This permission allows the city to move forward to eventually develop along the land. The next step for the Cedar Creek Trail project is to get permission from the Texas Department of Transportation.
- Over 90 Abilene streets receive worst possible condition rating
- Abilene man reportedly bound with tape, forced into trunk at apartment complex
- Abilene man arrested for pointing gun at family, firing, fighting with police
- Judge to decide on motion to toss evidence in Niblo murder case
- School fair taking place in Abilene to answer questions about college
- BBB warns of fraudulent shopping sites during Holiday season
- Brownwood fugitive declines extradition for homicide-related charges
- Ex-Brownwood High soccer coach accused of having sex with student pleads guilty, sentenced
- Brownwood woman arrested on homicide-related warrant out of Missouri
- Chantay Blankinship known at club for kind, endearing soul
- Balloon release held to celebrate Chantay Blankinship's birthday
- UPDATE: 911 'back up and running' in Brown County
- Warrant: Murder suspect 'drunk' when he drove over victim at Taylor County ranch
- Goldsboro man, 71, charged with murder at Big Country ranch south of Abilene
- Coleman County house a total loss after weekend fire
- Hawley parent: Son did not make threats against school
- Police investigating early morning shooting in Sweetwater
- Underground silo shows Cold War history in the Big Country