City of Abilene updating RV ordinances to keep up with industry, oil boom
The city of Abilene has decided to revamp ordinances when it comes to RV parks.
Ben Bryner of the city of Abilene said it was time to take a look at the outdated RV park ordinances mostly because they need to keep up with the industry and to also accommodate the West Texas oil boom.
Before, you could only hitch your trailer for three months at a time. Now, you can stay up to 12 months.
"We've had some interest with people related to the oil field getting a more permanent situation to where they can have an RV come in and occupy there longer than the three months," Bryner said.
Bryner said 75 percent of the area's RV parks will allow for that 12-month stay. The other 25 percent will stick to that 3-month limit.
"We felt that there was a need to have some turnover so there was, people can see that there was activity at the park," Bryner said. "We didn't want it to look like it just those people and those people only."
Another change? Smaller lot space.
Instead of the 40-by-40-foot requirement, parks can now offer 40-by-25-foot spaces, which shouldn't impact the daily operation of life in an RV.
"That will still allow them to expand side-to-side with their popouts, but we felt that the full 40-foot width was not needed because with everything being contained in and often times now, we see that the park itself provides those other amenities," Bryner said.
Travel trailer parks also won't have to have as many restrooms on site.
"With the new RVs having their own restrooms and kitchens, we felt that we could reduce that requirement," Bryner said.
Bryner said these new changes go into effect this Sunday, Nov. 3.
Copyright 2013 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.