SWEETWATER, Texas - Sweetwater senior Kobe Clark put in an all-around effort for the history books in the Mustangs' 69-7 win against Lamesa.
The receiver and defensive back caught three touchdown passes, scored two defensive touchdowns, and returned a punt for another score to give him six total touchdowns, earning him the KTXS/Abilene Teacher's Federal Credit Union Player of the Week award.
"It was awesome because all of my coaches were happy. I don't have to deal with one coach being happy and one coach being sad," smiled Clark.
Clark started the game with a 53-yard interception return in the first quarter. He then caught his three touchdown passes in the second quarter.
Clark and quarterback Chris Thompson have teamed up to create one of the most potent passing combinations in the area.
"Me and Chris have been real good friends for a long time. I remember being little and playing catch together, playing football with some of our other friends. We've always had that type of connection. Its just carried on through high school."
Clark hauled in seven catches for 216 yards in the victory -- a big part of Thompson's 385 yards and 5 touchdown performance.
To end the first half, Clark ripped the ball out of a Lamesa receiver's hands and ran the other way 36 yards for a fumble recovery touchdown.
"I think that's my favorite football moment of all-time actually because I've never stripped someone and then scored, so it was pretty awesome.
"I came off to the sideline and [defensive coordinator] coach [Dexter] Know was like, 'Did you just take that from him?' I was like, 'Yep. I just took it from him.'"
Clark's sixth and final touchdown was on a 57-yard punt return in the third quarter.
The Mustangs lost in the Class 4A Division II state title game last season, but Clark, Thompson and the rest of the senior class is determined to finish the job in their last go-round.
"We're trying to get back to state. We're trying to win us a state championship this time, and do all we can for our team to get there."
- Local church hosts car show to help victims of Hurricane Harvey
- DACA advocates march in front of Abilene City Hall
- Local officers collected tips at Red Robin for Special Olympics Texas
- Busch Jewelers in Abilene going out of business after 73 years
- School fair taking place in Abilene to answer questions about college
- Wanted: 10 fugitives sought by Abilene police
- Former HPU nursing school dean responds to students' lawsuits
- Brownwood man sentenced to 20 years in connection with 8-year-old boy's death
- Samuel Juarez Jr. guilty of manslaughter in death of Brownwood boy
- Ft. Hood soldier who led Brown County deputies on chase turns himself in
- Day 1 wraps for murder trial of Brownwood hit-and-run suspect
- Murder trial begins Tuesday for Brownwood hit-and-run suspect
- Anson man indicted for indecency with a child
- 2 arrested for allegedly distributing meth across 3 counties
- Hawley residents blame road conditions on FM 3326 for fatal crash
- Austin couple arrested in Winters for 234 pounds of marijuana
- Snyder man arrested for indecency with child
- Woodson ISD launches investigation into superintendent's sudden resignation