AURORA, Colo. (AP) - One survivor had to pause on his way into the theater and pray.
Another braced for flashbacks as he entered the auditorium where 12 people died and dozens were injured during a massacre six months ago. Others refused to come, viewing the reopening of the multiplex as insensitive.
The former Century 16, now renovated and renamed Century Aurora, opened its doors to victims of the July 20 attack Thursday night with a somber remembrance ceremony and a special showing of "The Hobbit."
Pierce O'Farrill, wounded three times in the shooting, made a point of finding his old seat in the second row of the theater. He called it "just a part of closure."
Tom Sullivan, whose son, Alex, was killed, also attended. He said, "Nobody is going to stop us from living our lives the way that we lived our lives before."
Alex's widow, Cassandra Sullivan, joined a boycott of the event. So did Tom Teves, whose own son, Alex, also was killed.
Victims have filed at least three federal lawsuits against Texas-based Cinemark Holdings Inc., alleging it should have provided security for the midnight showing of "The Dark Knight Rises," which was showing when the attack occurred.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated