The condition has been upgraded for one of five Abilene Christian University students injured in a two-vehicle, head-on collision that killed two people Friday.
The accident involved two pickup trucks colliding at the intersection of County Road 107 and Highway 36, just east of Abilene Regional Airport.
Hendrick Medical Center said Rebekah Cherniss, 18, of Katy, has been upgraded from critical to fair condition. In addition, hospital officials said Deanna Romero, 19, of Omaha, Neb., remains in good condition.
Also injured in the crash were 20-year-old Robert Braddock of Deer Park; Eric Terrazas, 20, from Argyle, and Calli Kerbo, 18, from Murfeesboro, Tenn.
According to DPS, a red pickup driven by 27-year-old Jeffrey Davis of Abilene was headed north on County Road 107 when it collided at the intersection with a pickup traveling south on Highway 36. The truck on Highway 36 was carrying six people, all Abilene Christian University students.
Lindsey Smith, 20, of New Braunfels, and Davis were killed in the crash.
A funeral service has been scheduled for Lindsey Smith, 20, of New Braunfels. It will be held 11 a.m. Thursday, Jan. 31 at Oakwood Baptist Church in New Braunfels.
- Emmy-winning actor and Fort Worth native Bill Paxton, 61, dies from surgery complications
- San Angelo city councilman resigns after racial comments about police
- 18 people displaced after Brownwood apartment fire
- Former Sweetwater teacher indicted on 3 child sex charges
- Updated Truck rams New Orleans crowd during Mardi Gras parade; 28 injured
- Chili Day and Auction raises money for children's programs
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Workshop at ACU gets people ready for gardening season
- McMurry professor highlights 181st anniversary of the Battle of the Alamo
- State seeks death penalty for man accused of killing correctional officer
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash