ABILENE, Texas - The Texas Department of Transportation has received a couple of calls about construction work on westbound Interstate 20 near Sweetwater, and one viewer sent photos of his tires covered in tar.
Public Information Officer for TXDOT”s Abilene District Mary Belle Turner said the contractor has experienced some challenges with putting down asphalt in this location.
“TxDOT and the contractor are working diligently with to make sure they address those issues and alleviate," Turner said. "In the meantime, if drivers are going through there, just be especially watchful for this area mostly, just be patient with the construction process."
Turner said the tar is sticking to cars as result of flushing. Flushing happens when there is a high volume of cars on the road and high temperatures. The project is expected to wrap up in the next couple of weeks. Next is the hot mix application, which will make the roads smooth.
The viewer who sent in the photos said he is talking with the contracting company to see if it will cover the replacement cost for his tires.
If anyone is experiencing any difficulty with their cars after driving through construction, they are asked to contact TxDOT.
- Wanted: 10 fugitives sought by Abilene police
- Abilene youth league coaches suspended for extending middle fingers in team photo
- Firefighters respond after 10-year-old drops cigarette at Abilene trailer house
- Former Abilene mayor Norm Archibald named 2017 Citizen of the Year
- School fair taking place in Abilene to answer questions about college
- 21 indicted by Taylor County grand jury
- Brownwood man sentenced to 20 years in connection with 8-year-old boy's death
- Samuel Juarez Jr. guilty of manslaughter in death of Brownwood boy
- Ft. Hood soldier who led Brown County deputies on chase turns himself in
- Day 1 wraps for murder trial of Brownwood hit-and-run suspect
- Murder trial begins Tuesday for Brownwood hit-and-run suspect
- Brownwood plant manager: No injuries from minor explosion
- 2 arrested for allegedly distributing meth across 3 counties
- Hawley residents blame road conditions on FM 3326 for fatal crash
- Austin couple arrested in Winters for 234 pounds of marijuana
- Snyder man arrested for indecency with child
- Woodson ISD launches investigation into superintendent's sudden resignation
- Remains found in far West Texas believed to be missing elderly Colorado City woman