BROWNWOOD, Texas — - Hardin-Simmons' women's soccer team tied Howard Payne 1-1 on Saturday in the American Southwest Conference and regular-season finale for both teams.
The Cowgirls still own the No. 1 seed in next week's ASC Championship. HSU is 13-1-1 on the season and 9-0-1 in league play. HPU ends its season with a record of 4-12-1 and 3-6-1 in conference play. It was the first time since 2008 that HSU has recorded a tie in conference play.
Stephanie Boggs put Howard Payne on the board early in the second half on an assist from Taylor Bicknell.
HSU answered at the 58:31 mark to tie the game on a Devon Howard goal, which was assisted by Karissa Olson. Both teams had several chances to get the go-ahead goal but the goalkeepers Lexi Stinson and Kelsie Piland made some spectacular saves to keep the game scoreless the rest of the way.
Stinson finished with eight saves and Piland had eight saves.
HSU outshot the Lady Jackets 20-12 and 9-7 on goal. HSU had 15 corner kicks in the game to three for HPU.
HSU has a bye in the first round of the ASC Championship that will be held at Texas-Dallas.
Information provided by HSU Athletics.
- Updated Abilene shooting victim's mother reacts to suspect's arrest
- Updated DPS identifies man killed in Hwy 84 crash near Santa Anna, Coleman
- Updated Abilene man arrested for aggravated kidnapping of girlfriend
- Updated Abilene residents weigh in on 25 years of the World Wide Web
- Updated No tax increases in proposed Brownwood budget for 2016-2017