BUFFALO GAP, Texas - A 31-year-old Abilene man was arrested Thursday after allegedly striking his father in the head with a hammer.
Benito Juarez Madrid faces charges of aggravated assault against a family member that resulted in serious bodily injury and one count of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.
After Taylor County Sheriff's Office deputies arrived at about 10 a.m. Thursday to 1302 Pecan St. in Buffalo Gap, they found a 62-year-old man with a "severe head injury," a news release said.
The man was immediately taken via ambulance to Hendrick Medical Center, where he remains hospitalized.
"Witnesses interviewed – and evidence collected – indicate that the victim and his son got into an argument, which ended when the son attacked the father with a claw hammer," the release said.
"When a relative of the family attempted to intervene, he was threatened with the hammer as well."
Madrid's bond was set at $80,000, the release said.
- Updated Abilene Fire Department working house fire on Graham Street
- Updated Enrollment up at Abilene, Wylie school districts
- Updated Video of woman chasing cat on Texas tollway prompts warning
- Updated Perfect strangers perform unforgettable duet at Texas hospital
- Updated Abilene man, 32, sentenced to 18 years for June 2014 shooting death