BUFFALO GAP, Texas - A 31-year-old Abilene man was arrested Thursday after allegedly striking his father in the head with a hammer.
Benito Juarez Madrid faces charges of aggravated assault against a family member that resulted in serious bodily injury and one count of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.
After Taylor County Sheriff's Office deputies arrived at about 10 a.m. Thursday to 1302 Pecan St. in Buffalo Gap, they found a 62-year-old man with a "severe head injury," a news release said.
The man was immediately taken via ambulance to Hendrick Medical Center, where he remains hospitalized.
"Witnesses interviewed – and evidence collected – indicate that the victim and his son got into an argument, which ended when the son attacked the father with a claw hammer," the release said.
"When a relative of the family attempted to intervene, he was threatened with the hammer as well."
Madrid's bond was set at $80,000, the release said.
- H-E-B donates $2,500 to The Food Bank of West Central Texas
- CityLink bus fare increases passed by Abilene City Council
- Abilene City Council responds to audit requests over water bills
- Truck flips after being T-boned in downtown Abilene
- Guardian claims disabled Abilene woman had $200,000 stolen from account