BUFFALO GAP, Texas - A 31-year-old Abilene man was arrested Thursday after allegedly striking his father in the head with a hammer.
Benito Juarez Madrid faces charges of aggravated assault against a family member that resulted in serious bodily injury and one count of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.
After Taylor County Sheriff's Office deputies arrived at about 10 a.m. Thursday to 1302 Pecan St. in Buffalo Gap, they found a 62-year-old man with a "severe head injury," a news release said.
The man was immediately taken via ambulance to Hendrick Medical Center, where he remains hospitalized.
"Witnesses interviewed – and evidence collected – indicate that the victim and his son got into an argument, which ended when the son attacked the father with a claw hammer," the release said.
"When a relative of the family attempted to intervene, he was threatened with the hammer as well."
Madrid's bond was set at $80,000, the release said.
- Calais 'Jungle': Demolition of massive migrant camp to begin
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- KTXS Forecast: Cloud cover temporarily increases for Tuesday
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer