ABILENE, Texas - Police are searching for those involved in a string of thefts from ATMs at Abilene convenience stores.
In a news release, Police Chief Stan Standridge said similar thefts from ATMs have occurred elsewhere, including in Wichita Falls. In 2010, Abilene police arrested three when similar thefts occurred.
Standridge said thefts from ATMs occurred at two south side convenience stores on Dec. 13 and again on Saturday at a store on North Treadaway.
Thieves entered the stores on Dec. 13 by prying open the front doors, the news release said. They then took undisclosed amounts of cash from the two stores.
On Dec. 21, police were dispatched to the convenience store on North Treadaway. Suspects fled after reportedly stealing cash.
"A perimeter was quickly established," the news release said. "However, due to heavy rain, a K-9 was unable to locate any of the suspects. Follow up investigation revealed the suspects had entered the ATM and stolen cash at this third convenience store.
"… Because Abilene police have the suspects' vehicle in custody, many leads are being followed up on."
Offenses such as the ATM thefts range from state jail felonies to 2nd-degree felonies, which carry a maximum of 20 years imprisonment.
"However, there is a possibility of a federal nexus, so all offenses will be vetted with the FBI and the federal assistant United States attorney based in Abilene," the release said.
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- KTXS Forecast: Warm and likely dry
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer