EASTLAND, Texas - Two men – Shawn Michael Gautney, 29, of Coleman and Johnny Ray Rasco, 35, of Dallas – have been sentenced for their parts in a significant alleged organized crime ring.
Gautney received 36 years confinement and Rasco 40 years confinement in the Texas Department of Criminal Justice after each entered pleas of guilty in the 91st Judicial District Court of Eastland County on Wednesday.
Judge Steven Herod pronounced sentence in each man's case after accepting plea agreements. Criminal District Attorney Russ Thomason represented the State.
According to a news release, Gautney was convicted of Possession With Intent to Deliver a Controlled Substance: Methamphetamine, 4 grams or more but less than 200 grams, and engaging in organized criminal activity.
Gautney and Holly Gordon had been arrested during March 2012 by DPS State Troopers on Interstate 20 in Eastland County for possession of approximately 30 grams of methamphetamine. That arrest provided for venue in Eastland County of the organized crime cases.
Rasco was also convicted of engaging in organized criminal activity.
From the news release:
The Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) Criminal Investigation Division (CID) had been investigating the crime ring for the past year and a half, resulting in the November 2012 indictments of nineteen defendants by an Eastland County Grand Jury for the offense of Engaging in Organized Criminal Activity. All of these indictments stemmed from the defendants' involvement in the distribution of methamphetamine.To date, thirteen of the nineteen arrested, have entered pleas of guilt.
In addition to Rasco and Gautney, an Eastland County grand jury previously indicted: Kyle Ross of Rowlett; Terry Tate, Holly Gordon, Troy Hall, Joseph "Gus" Mays and Riley Clint Marks, all of Coleman; Judah Reese, Amy Chambers, Jason Fain, Timothy Gauch, Delores "Rocky" Moore, Richmond Russell, Chris Hewitt, Troy Shelton, and Justin White, all of Abilene; Steven Nottingham of Houston County, Ga., and Krystin Danae Markham of Rowlett.
- Man shot in arm during road rage incident near Abilene
- Man convicted of indecency with a child now arrested in Taylor County
- Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Financial shortfall forcing Meals on Wheels to cut breakfast delivery in Abilene
- Abilene parents keeping daughter's memory alive with foundation
- Brownwood woman gets 20 years in prison for injuring child
- Brownwood City Council approves bid for sports complex additions
- Brownwood City Council unanimously passes new budget
- Brownwood murder suspect's lawyer asks for bond reduction, gag order
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Sweetwater teacher accused of relationship with student resigns
- Bond reduced for Ranger man accused of murder
- Winters man one of 25 to receive prestigious Carnegie Hero medal
- Bangs students learn from Monday's presidential debate
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash