ABILENE, Texas - A Taylor County grand jury on Thursday indicted the mother allegedly responsible for the death of 22-month-old Tamryn Klapheke on three felony counts of injury to a child.
Tiffany Klapheke, 22, was booked into the Taylor County Jail Aug. 29 after Dyess Air Force Base and Abilene police responded to her 911 call and discovered Tamryn was unresponsive in her Dyess home Aug. 28. A preliminary autopsy showed Tamryn was severely malnourished, dehydrated and had suffered chemical burns from her own waste.
Tamryn's two sisters, Tatum and Taberlee, suffered similar injuries and were hospitalized.
Tiffany Klapheke, 22, is currently jailed on $500,000 bond.
Her husband, Thomas, was deployed in the Middle East at the time of the toddler's death and filed for divorce after he returned.
Testimony in a military hearing for Klapheke's live-in boyfriend, 23-year-old Senior Airman Christopher Perez, revealed Perez moved in to the home after Thomas deployed and that he was living there at the time of the toddler's death.
Perez is charged by the military with adultery, failure to report child abuse or neglect and child endangerment. Perez could undergo court martial if Dyess 7th Bomb Wing Commander Col. Glen VanHerck decides to move forward.
- Calais 'Jungle': Demolition of massive migrant camp to begin
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- KTXS Forecast: Cloud cover temporarily increases for Tuesday
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer