UPDATE: State Police name two jailed in connection with shots fired at trooper, standoff

Officer involved shooting in Mitchell County

COLORADO CITY, Texas - State Police have released the names of two men who were arrested in connection with shots fired at a trooper, a high-speed chase on I-20 and a nearly 10-hour standoff in Colorado City on Monday.

Being held, according to a State Police news release, are:

*- Myron McDonald Jr., 22, of Oklahoma City, on charges of attempted capital murder, felon in possession of a firearm and evading arrest.

*- Christopher Deshawn Johnson, 24, of Oklahoma City, on charges of attempted capital murder and felon in possession of a firearm.

Charges, meanwhile, are pending against a 16-year-old boy from Edmondson, Okla. The teen was transported to the juvenile facility in Taylor County.

Two others were also arrested for involvement in the standoff: Brandon Emerson and Felicia Diaz, both 24 years old and from Colorado City. The two were charged with hindering apprehension.

Early Monday morning, a state trooper stopped a vehicle that was speeding over 100 miles per hour near the Mitchell-Howard County line on Interstate 20. 

The trooper approached the vehicle and the driver allegedly stepped out of his vehicle and began shooting. The trooper was not injured and got into his unit to pursue the driver and passengers.

"During the pursuit, the violator continued shooting at the trooper, came through Colorado City on some of the back roads," Senior Trooper Sparky Dean said. "Back out on Interstate 20, the trooper lost sight of the vehicle and the vehicle was then recovered in Nolan county."

Law enforcement used tracking dogs, horses and a helicopter to search the area near the abandoned car but were unsuccessful and called off the search around 12 p.m.

Just after 2 p.m., citizens of Colorado City informed authorities that three men had barricaded themselves inside a home in the 100 block of South Austin Street. Law enforcement evacuated the area and set up a perimeter.

After a near 10-hour standoff, authorities entered the home just after midnight and arrested the trio without incident.

"The guys finally did give themselves up," Dean said. "They're in custody at this time and are in process to go to the Mitchell County Jail."

Witnesses said they are relieved. 

"I feel real good about this because they're in custody now and we don't got to worry about our families getting hurt in any kind of way," Able Molano said. 

The Texas Rangers are investigating the incident and their findings will be presented to the Mitchell County District Attorney's Office, according to the State Police news release.

Recent Headlines

Local Mugshots

Local News -