CLYDE, Texas - Many people were filling up their gas tanks on Thursday because they believed there was a shortage of gas, and one gas station in Clyde may have taken advantage of that.
A Butterman’s Grill customer sent us a copy of a receipt showing the price of diesel at $4.09 per gallon Thursday.
"I will not walk into that store again,” said Dawn Arispe. “Living in the community I live in, I grew up here. I went to school here. I have children, they go to school here. I know numerous people who will no longer give them their business."
A Butterman's Grill employee we spoke to Friday morning said the price spike was just a rumor.
The employee didn't want to be interviewed, but said their gas price went from $2.19 a gallon to $2.39, and that's when they sold out.
Customers told us the price of gas was not on the signs, adding it was only listed on the pump itself. They said they found out when they started pumping the gas. Customers confused by the price called the store to ask for an explanation.
"What I did is I called up to there and I said, ‘Hey you know I'm hearing that y'all are price gouging and charging $4.09 for gas,’" Arispe said. "And he said, ‘People can call it what they want. It's Economics 101 and everyone needs to learn about it.'"
Several KTXS viewers also reached out to us and said they paid over $4 a gallon for diesel, or that they saw the price at Butterman’s Grill and decided to go elsewhere.
- Over 90 Abilene streets receive worst possible condition rating
- Abilene man reportedly bound with tape, forced into trunk at apartment complex
- Abilene man arrested for pointing gun at family, firing, fighting with police
- Judge to decide on motion to toss evidence in Niblo murder case
- School fair taking place in Abilene to answer questions about college
- BBB warns of fraudulent shopping sites during Holiday season
- Brownwood fugitive declines extradition for homicide-related charges
- Ex-Brownwood High soccer coach accused of having sex with student pleads guilty, sentenced
- Brownwood woman arrested on homicide-related warrant out of Missouri
- Chantay Blankinship known at club for kind, endearing soul
- Balloon release held to celebrate Chantay Blankinship's birthday
- UPDATE: 911 'back up and running' in Brown County
- Warrant: Murder suspect 'drunk' when he drove over victim at Taylor County ranch
- Goldsboro man, 71, charged with murder at Big Country ranch south of Abilene
- Coleman County house a total loss after weekend fire
- Hawley parent: Son did not make threats against school
- Police investigating early morning shooting in Sweetwater
- Underground silo shows Cold War history in the Big Country