ABILENE, Texas - All fathers who visited the Abilene Zoo Sunday received free admission with the purchase of a ticket for a child of any age. The first 100 fathers to the gate also received coupons for free ice cream cones.
Families spent the day taking tours of the park and feeding the animals.
A couple of Dyess airmen said they are overjoyed to be spending the holiday with their families.
"I don't get to celebrate Father's Day every year at home," Mike Fessler said. "I'm in the Air force and sometimes I'm away from home. Any opportunity I get to spend it with my daughter and my wife is an amazing thing."
"I recently returned from deployment," David Harman said. "I'm on my R and R, so this means a lot to me to be home with my family."
- Updated Man on Texas death row for killing 2 loses appeal
- Updated New 'Dancing With the Stars' cast includes ex-Gov. Rick Perry, 12 others
- Updated Armored car guard shot, killed in Texas ATM robbery
- Updated Teacher fired in West Texas after Internet post hired by another district
- Police ID West Texas man who died while hiking
- Abilene, Big Country teams ranked in AP football poll
- Abilene ISD expecting more money from state for higher enrollment
- Clyde community raises money for family after car accident
- Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire
- Bulldogs find way to win in mistake-filled season opener against Vernon