ABILENE, Texas -

An improperly discarded cigarette is being blamed for a structure fire about 1 a.m. Wednesday in the 3200 block of Melinda Lane.

Firefighters, upon arrival, found smoke and fire showing from the house’s roof. Most of the damage, estimated at $25,000, was to the home’s attic, an Abilene Fire Department news release said.

“There was very little damage to the inside living areas,” the release said.

No injuries were reported – and the cause of the fire has been ruled accidental.