BROWN COUNTY, Texas - An Early man was arrested last week for allegedly scamming an elderly couple out of more than $15,000 for taking payments on work he failed to complete.
The Brown County Sheriff’s Office began investigating Michael Johnson, 52, in January after receiving a complaint that he never began work at a Brownwood home.
Johnson was given three checks beginning on Nov. 30 as a down payment for remodeling the home, according to a complaint an investigator filed at the courthouse. It states that Johnson represented himself as a partner of Lone Start Home Improvement and Repair located on 1100 Coggin Avenue in Brownwood.
When the 71-year-old homeowner asked for his money back after seeing that Johnson never started the project, he was told he couldn’t be repaid.
The investigator also discovered Johnson had in fact deposited the funds into his personal account, which was closed due to a large overdraft, according to court documents.
Johnson remains in jail on a $50,000 bond, according to Brown County Jail records.
- ACU's Sing Song competition brings visitors, dollars to Abilene
- 2 dead in shooting during fight at Houston strip club
- Police seek help finding suitcase linked to Colorado murder
- Hunters charged in Texas shooting who had blamed immigrants
- Stepson talks how shooter, victim met before San Angelo murder-suicide