DALLAS - Monta Ellis started his Dallas career with 32 points, Dirk Nowitzki scored 24 and the Mavericks spoiled Mike Budenholzer's coaching debut with a 118-109 victory over the Atlanta Hawks on Wednesday night.
The Mavericks hit seven 3-pointers to pull away in the fourth quarter, including two in a row from Nowitzki followed by one from Ellis for a 118-102 lead with 1:18 remaining.
Ellis joined the Mavericks with questions about his efficiency on offense, but answered those concerns at least for one night. He was 11 of 17 from the field and had eight assists. The only downside was seven turnovers.
Nowitzki finished 8 of 14, including 4 of 6 from beyond the arc, after missing last year's opener and the next 26 games following right knee surgery.
Jeff Teague led Atlanta with 24.
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash