ABILENE, Texas - A man wanted for escaping from the Callahan County Jail more than two weeks ago is now in custody in Wise County, just northwest of Metroplex.
Arthur Thurman, 32, escaped custody on March 2 with an accomplice, 18-year-old Olmedo Bailey Ovilas. Thurman was originally booked into the Callahan County Jail on a warrant out of Oklahoma for possession of a dangerous drug.
The Wise County Sheriff's Office confirmed that Thurman was booked into the county jail Friday evening after being pulled over for a traffic violation.
Callahan County Sheriff Terry Joy told KTXS that Thurman escaped custody by jumping into a car with Ovilas while taking out the trash. The two led Joy on a car chase through Callahan County and into Eastland County.
The two ditched the car and fled on foot when they reached Cisco.
After Thurman's escape, the Texas Department of Public Safety, along with the Callahan County Sheriff's Office and several other law enforcement agencies had set up a perimeter along Interstate 20 near Cisco, but they were unable to locate the pair.
Eleven days later, Ovilas turned himself, but for two weeks, Thurman was still wanted by authorities.
Thurman will be extradited back to Callahan County.
KTXS will update this article when we learn more.
- Brownwood ISD considering random drug testing for extracurricular activities
- Abilene murder victim's family: Suspect shouldn't have chance to get out
- AISD announces principal change at Abilene High School
- Colorado City correctional facility facing closure under proposed budget
- KTXS Forecast: Windy afternoon with building storm chances tonight.
- Fundraising continues for families of victims in deadly Haskell County crash
- Liquor store owner wants Abilene City Council to extend alcohol sales
- Taylor County board meets for first time since commissioner's arrest
- TxDOT paying for school zone sign near Victory Life Academy
- Brown County zookeeper wants rollback of ban on exotic animals