ABILENE, Texas - A former boyfriend of one of Tom Niblo’s daughters is now being investigated in connection with the Abilene real estate agent’s murder.
Niblo was shot to death Dec. 12 at his home on Woodridge Drive.
Abilene police obtained a search warrant Tuesday for 35-year-old Clay Brummett’s phone.
According to the affidavit, Brummett dated one of Niblo’s daughters for several years, but it “ended badly a couple of years ago.” Police said he is still “clearly upset” that they broke up.
Police say when they contacted Brummett about the murder, “he was very nervous.”
According to the affidavit, Brummett gave “conflicting times” for when he woke up the morning of Niblo’s murder, but he was very specific about what he did that afternoon.
Police said they learned Brummett had not talked to Niblo “in some time until approximately two weeks prior to the murder.” The affidavit says Brummett talked to Niblo about the failed relationship with his daughter.
According to the affidavit, police want to review call, text and data logs from Brummett’s cell phone account. They also want to review GPS data to learn the whereabouts of Brummett’s cell phone from Nov. 28 to Dec. 19. Police believe all the items are related to the offense of murder.
KTXS reported last week that police sought phone records belonging to Luke and Ellouise Sweetser. Those search warrants did not specify GPS records, but did include a request for web history and app data, along with social media messages and call and text logs.
Luke Sweetser is Niblo’s brother-in-law. He’s charged with theft of a firearm. Police have said his arrest was “made in relation to [the murder] investigation.”
No one has been charged with Niblo’s murder.
- Abilene man arrested for pointing gun at family, firing, fighting with police
- Judge to decide on motion to toss evidence in Niblo murder case
- BBB warns of fraudulent shopping sites during Holiday season
- Mayor Williams' former campaign manager running for Abilene City Council
- School fair taking place in Abilene to answer questions about college
- Abilene's new city secretary previously served city of Dallas
- Ex-Brownwood High soccer coach accused of having sex with student pleads guilty, sentenced
- Brownwood woman arrested on homicide-related warrant out of Missouri
- Chantay Blankinship known at club for kind, endearing soul
- Balloon release held to celebrate Chantay Blankinship's birthday
- UPDATE: 911 'back up and running' in Brown County
- Blankinship's family says they can begin healing after suspect's arrest
- Warrant: Murder suspect 'drunk' when he drove over victim at Taylor County ranch
- Goldsboro man, 71, charged with murder at Big Country ranch south of Abilene
- Coleman County house a total loss after weekend fire
- Hawley parent: Son did not make threats against school
- Police investigating early morning shooting in Sweetwater
- Underground silo shows Cold War history in the Big Country