ABILENE, Texas - Hardin-Simmons’ football team improved to 8-1 with a 55-7 American Southwest Conference win over Belhaven on Senior Day Saturday afternoon at Shelton Stadium.
The Cowboys took the opening kickoff and went 68 yards in five plays as Landry Turner hit Jaquan Hemphill on a 30-yard touchdown pass to cap the drive.
HSU forced a turnover on downs when Jim LaFond had a fourth-down sack on the Blazers’ first drive. HSU went 58 yards in nine plays and Hemphill scored on an 8-yard touchdown run.
The defense forced another turnover on downs and the Cowboys scored three plays later when Marc Reed ran it in from six yards out to make it 20-0.
Blake Johnston forced a fumble on the next Blazer possession and Chris Miller ran it to the seven. Turner then hit Devonte’ Walker from seven yards out and the rout was on.
Turner hit Breon Simmons on a 38-yard laser over the middle for a touchdown and Turner added a 9-yard touchdown to Reese Childress to make it 41-0. Brad Foley scored on a 4-yard pass from Hunter McEachern just before halftime for the Blazers only score of the game.
Colton Kent scored on a 23-yard pass from Turner on the first drive of the third quarter. It was a one-handed sliding catch in the end zone.
Zai Zai Smith added the other Cowboy score a 26-yard touchdown run early in the fourth quarter.
The Cowboys had 579 yards in the game and had 32 first downs. Landry Turner was 18-of-26 passing for 293 yards and five touchdowns. Reese Childress had seven catches for 76 yards.
Matthew Hawkins led the defense with 10 tackles on the day. Donavon Hailey and Jim LaFond each had a pair of sacks on their senior day. HSU had seven sacks in the game.
HSU is 8-1 overall and 7-1 in ASC play. Belhaven fell to 2-7 overall and 1-7 in conference action. The Cowboys close the regular season next Saturday at 1 p.m. when it travels to McMurry to play for the Wilford Moore Trophy.
Courtesy HSU Athletics.
- Updated Methadone program for inmates to begin at New Mexico jail
- Hospital transfer lags for woman charged in nephew's death
- Albuquerque man facing 13 counts of rape involving teen girl
- Longtime country singer, songwriter Mel Tillis dies
- Family sues after child, 5, killed in rotating Atlanta restaurant
- Love and Care Ministries unloads 13 trailers of donated items
- Abilene police may use DNA-based composites to solve crimes
- Police continuing search for Abilene car chase suspect
- Mission Thanksgiving kicks off for 19th year
- School fair taking place in Abilene to answer questions about college
- Former Abilene ISD teacher indicted for biting autistic student
- Blankinship's family says they can begin healing after suspect's arrest
- Pastor describes Ryan Riggs' murder confession at Brownwood church
- Brown County Sheriff: Murder suspect wasn't ‘on radar' until composite sketch released
- Brownwood murder suspect shared Facebook posts about victim in days after her death
- Parents of Brownwood murder victim break down in tears when talking about arrest of alleged killer
- Sheriff: Brownwood man confesses in church to killing Chantay Blankinship
- Coleman County house a total loss after weekend fire
- Hawley parent: Son did not make threats against school
- Police investigating early morning shooting in Sweetwater
- Underground silo shows Cold War history in the Big Country
- 106-year-old train depot in Snyder torn down
- Superintendent: Student detained after terroristic threat in Hawley ISD