ABILENE, Texas -

Guests were evacuated Wednesday due to a fire at America's Best Value Inn on South 1st Street.

The Abilene Fire Department responded to the fire just after 5:30 p.m., and after finding significant amounts of smoke inside, people were asked to evacuate a wing of the hotel as a precaution.

Firefighters believe the fire was started by a cigarette thrown on a grassy area next to the hotel.

The fire spread up the wall of an unoccupied area of the hotel where it began burning the insulation of the building. Firefighters tore into the wall to prevent the spread of the fire and quickly got the fire under control.

AFD estimates the fire caused around $5,000 of damage. No one was injured in the fire.