IRVING, Texas - Former ACU all-America golfer Alex Carpenter is playing in his second PGA Tour tournament of his career this weekend when he tees it up beginning tomorrow at the HP Byron Nelson Championship at the TPC Four Seasons Resort.
Carpenter is playing the tournament on a sponsor's exemption. He's playing Thursday with former Florida State player Brooks Koepka and New Zealander Tim Wilkinson.
After his sophomore season at ACU in 2011, Carpenter played in the Arnold Palmer Invitational at Bay Hill, shooting rounds of 82-69 and missing the cut by three shots. Carpenter earned his spot in the tournament at Bay Hill by winning the prestigious Southern Amateur the summer after his freshman season.
Carpenter finished his unparalleled ACU career in 2013 after winning an NCAA-record 20 collegiate tournament championships. A four-time Lone Star Conference Player of the Year, Carpenter was also voted the league's Male Athlete of the Year in 2013 and was a four-time all-America, including twice earning first team honors. He also won the Phil and Amy Mickelson Foundation Award as the most outstanding freshman in NCAA Division II men's golf in 2010, and in both 2011 and 2013 he won the Jack Nicklaus Award as the NCAA Division II Player of the Year.
Headlining this year's field are recent major champions Charles Schwartzel and Louis Oosthuizen, along with Dustin Johnson and Brandt Snedeker. Other major championship winners in the field include Vijay Singh, Justin Leonard, John Daly, David Toms, David Duval, Ben Curtis, and Jason Dufner.
Also in the field are former University of Texas all-America Jordan Spieth – who finished second at the Masters in April – and Chad Campbell, the brother of ACU head golf coach Mike Campbell.
At just 20 years old, Spieth has one PGA Tour win under his belt (2013 John Deer Classic) and was named the 2013 PGA Tour Rookie of the Year. Caampbell is a 13-year veteran of the Tour with four wins to his credit: 2003 Tour Championship, 2004 Bay Hill Invitational, 2006 Bob Hope Chrysler Classic and the 2007 Viking Classic.
Information for this story provided by ACU Athletics.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated