ABILENE, Texas - Abilene ISD celebrated the completion of Long Early Learning Center with a ribbon-cutting ceremony Thursday.
The old Jane Long Elementary was renovated and turned into a preschool program.
After the ribbon cutting, former principal Preston Parker toured the renovated campus. Parker was the principal at Jane Long Elementary from 1976 to 1985. He chose to come back to see all the new changes since he was principal.
"Oh, my office does look quite different," Parker said. "When I came in the front, of course it's completely different at the front. I recognized the cafeteria but then when I got past that and came [towards the new building] most everything started to look different."
An additional building has been added to the school, bringing the number of classrooms to 45.
"This particular building has 20 classrooms and four motor lab rooms, plus a family literacy center, and a family and community partnership suite," said Early Childhood Programs Director Jenny Putnam.
Other parts of the campus, like the cafeteria and library, were also renovated, and now there are three playgrounds. Parker said this campus has changed a lot since the ‘80s.
"They're getting opportunities now that we did not have back when I was a principal," Parker said.
"It's a tremendous feeling to me to see what progress is being made.”
Nearly 850 students aged 3 years old and 4 years old attend Long Early Learning Center. The renovation project cost approximately $8.8 million and was part of the 2013 bond project.
- Warrant: Murder suspect 'drunk' when he drove over victim at Taylor County ranch
- Ex-Brownwood High soccer coach accused of having sex with student pleads guilty, sentenced
- Texas sheriff added to woman's crude anti-Trump truck decal
- CBS fires Charlie Rose after misconduct claims
- Airman's dog tags returned 50 years after he was shot down
- Donors step up for Abilene Salvation Army ahead of Thanksgiving
- Love and Care Ministries unloads 13 trailers of donated items
- Bicyclist injured after hitting vehicle in north Abilene
- Abilene police may use DNA-based composites to solve crimes
- School fair taking place in Abilene to answer questions about college
- Police continuing search for Abilene car chase suspect
- Brownwood woman arrested on homicide-related warrant out of Missouri
- Chantay Blankinship known at club for kind, endearing soul
- Balloon release held to celebrate Chantay Blankinship's birthday
- UPDATE: 911 'back up and running' in Brown County
- Blankinship's family says they can begin healing after suspect's arrest
- Pastor describes Ryan Riggs' murder confession at Brownwood church
- Goldsboro man, 71, charged with murder at Big Country ranch south of Abilene
- Coleman County house a total loss after weekend fire
- Hawley parent: Son did not make threats against school
- Police investigating early morning shooting in Sweetwater
- Underground silo shows Cold War history in the Big Country
- 106-year-old train depot in Snyder torn down