ABILENE, Texas - Frontier Texas is calling their newest 4,000 pound outdoor sculpture the "world's largest buffalo skull".
The distance from one tip of the buffalo horn to the next curves a span of 26 feet. It was designed so that children could crawl inside through the eyes of the skull.
"It's still a piece of art," said Jeff Salmon, Executive Director of Frontier Texas. "It's not exactly to the level of a piece of playground equipment so it's not exactly perfect for kids but we believe it is safe to climb through and climb out of."
The $15,000 sculpture was funded by the T & T Foundation. Some people said there's no better place for it to be.
"Frontier Texas was actually the site of the buffalo bone pile and there were thousands and thousands of buffalo killed in this area in the late 1870's," said Kim Snyder, the Frontier Texas Board of Directors President.
- Man shot in arm during road rage incident near Abilene
- Man convicted of indecency with a child now arrested in Taylor County
- Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Financial shortfall forcing Meals on Wheels to cut breakfast delivery in Abilene
- Abilene parents keeping daughter's memory alive with foundation
- Brownwood woman gets 20 years in prison for injuring child
- Brownwood police asking for public's help in finding escaped man
- Brownwood murder suspect's lawyer asks for bond reduction, gag order
- Brownwood City Council unanimously passes new budget
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Sweetwater teacher accused of relationship with student resigns
- Bond reduced for Ranger man accused of murder
- Bangs students learn from Monday's presidential debate
- Winters man one of 25 to receive prestigious Carnegie Hero medal
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash