NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WZTV/SBG) - The girlfriend of a man accused of stealing a rental car from the Nashville Airport called police to turn him in for reward money while allegedly riding in the stolen car.
According to the Metro Nashville Police affidavit, the theft originally took place in July when Chance Mongeon jumped the counter of a rental car facility at the airport, grabbed keys, and fled in a 2017 Dodge Challenger.
Police say in the process, Mongeon drove down a one-way road over two spike strips while fleeing. Police were able to spot the stolen car on I-24 but Mongeon did not stop for police.
At that time, dispatchers received a call from Mongeon's alleged girlfriend, identified as Cristy Cardwell. According to the affidavit, Cardwell told police she knew Mongeon stole the car but would not reveal his intentions until she received reward money, saying she "she knew the law very well and didn't have to give him up."
Police say Cardwell told them she was actually in the stolen car and would give the exact location only when she had reward money.
Police caught up with the 38-year-old Cardwell and she was booked into the Davidson County Jail on Tuesday for accessory after the fact. According to the affidavit, Cardwell attempted to harbor and abet a fugitive, intended to hinder his arrest, and refused to provide aid to assist in Mongeon's arrest.
- Update: Abilene police find missing ‘mentally challenged' man
- TxDOT: Hwy 351 at I-20 now 'fully' open to traffic
- Warrant: Abilene man used cell phone to force girl into sex for 4 years
- Abilene police: Elderly man paid to watch, have sex with teens
- Prostitution bust at north Abilene massage parlor
- Abilene police arrest Grinch who tried to steal Christmas
- Man arrested in Brownwood's largest meth bust gets indicted
- City of Early declines using taxpayer funds to pay for lobbyist
- Thousands of toys and dollars collected at Brownwood toy drive
- Brownwood approves retaining a lobbyist after 2 people speak up against it
- Ranger College releases settlement with former professor over sexual harassment allegations
- Brown County veteran being sued by hospital for unpaid fees
- Snow in Abilene & the Big Country for Christmas? Maybe, maybe not
- Clyde man indicted for sexual assault
- Dallas Cowboys apologize to Coleman family for mistreatment of their handicapped daughter
- Big County couple says AT&T Stadium mistreated their handicapped daughter
- 1 killed, 2 injured in I-20 crash near Colorado City
- After 5-1 school board vote, Chris Hagler's contract renewed with Anson