ABILENE, TX - On the college hoops scene in Abilene, there may not be as hot of a team right now as the Hardin-Simmons Cowboys who are riding quite the streak this week.
HSU has now won five straight games -- including a win over the fifth ranked team in Division III, Salisbury out in the d3hoops.com classic.
“Other than the game with Ozarks, I think we've held every team under 70, and that's pretty good,” said senior Justin Jones. “That's really what we've been focused on a lot. We buy into defense, and we feel like we can lock anybody up."
The Cowboys are tied for first place in the American Southwest Conference -- and they're feeling good going into a busy weekend at home where they'll play Howard Payne and Sul Ross -- the other two first place squads.
“I really think what's worked for us is we're starting to gel together,” said head coach Craig Carse at Tuesday’s practice. “The last five have been the first time we've had our whole team. It's a good group of kids, they're an experienced group of kids that know what they're doing."
- Updated Federal agency publishes timetable for President Trump's Mexico border wall
- Texas murder suspect arrested; was in Daytona for the races
- Los Arcos restaurant to reopen Wednesday in Abilene
- Crews battling wildfires in Texas Panhandle, Oklahoma
- Savage threatens resignation from city council over business issue