AVONDALE, Ariz. - Jimmie Johnson has taken control of the championship battle following a disastrous performance by Matt Kenseth at Phoenix International Raceway.
ohnson widened his lead in the Sprint Cup standings to 28 points over Kenseth heading into next Sunday's season finale at Homestead by finishing third in a workmanlike performance for the five-time champion.
Kenseth had a horrific race Sunday as his title hopes were derailed by an ill-handing Toyota. He was struggling early, complained to crew chief Jason Ratcliff he didn't even know what to tell him to fix, and wound up 23rd.
Kevin Harvick won the race for the second year in a row after Carl Edwards ran out of gas headed to the white flag. Harvick sailed by on the last lap for his fourth win of the year.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Updated Convicted man on Texas Most Wanted sex offender list caught
- Updated Ex-Abilene day care teacher fails to show for trial, warrant issued
- Updated Hunters, Abilene charity anticipate start of dove hunting season
- Updated Police: 20-year-old arrested for sexual assault of Brownwood teen
- Updated 2 injured in DWI crash in Early, man arrested
- Construction to begin on Highway 351 in north Abilene
- Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire
- Clyde community raises money for family after car accident
- Enrollment up at Abilene, Wylie school districts
- Associated Press releases it's Texas high school football rankings for Week 1
- Santa Anna man, 28, arrested on drug charges in Coleman
- Texas recognizes Brown County gun store as oldest in state
- Clyde family raising money for son nearly paralyzed in wreck
- City of Early budget proposal includes property tax increase
- Active search over, suspect avoids arrest after high-speed Big Country chase