ANSON, Texas - The Jones County District Attorney’s Office explained why a man who shot and killed a Hamlin man was given 10 years’ probation.
On Tuesday, Oscar Villarreal plead guilty to manslaughter and will also have to serve 240 hours of community service and pay a $25,000 fine.
Villarreal was arrested in March for shooting his roommate, Lupe Romero.
According to Hamlin police, Villarreal pointed the blame at Romero’s nephew. He told them Romero and his nephew had been fighting a few weeks before the shooting. Jack Thompson, an investigator with the Jones County DA’s office, said investigators could not place Romero’s nephew at the scene through cellphone towers. It was then Hamlin PD and Texas State troopers revisited Villareal and learned he shot Romero.
Three months later, Villarreal was indicted on a manslaughter charge. Thompson said Villarreal claimed it was an accidental shooting. Because Romero was roughed up by his nephew, Villarreal thought they needed protection.
Thompson said Villarreal was showing a small pistol to Romero when he accidentally shot it. The bullet pierced through his arm and struck Romero’s side. Villarreal called an ambulance and Romero succumbed to his injuries.
Thompson said the evidence supported Villarreal’s claims.
“There was no criminal intent,” Thompson said.
District Attorney Joe Edd Boaz weighed in, stating Romero’s family was invited to the plea hearing.
- Local church hosts car show to help victims of Hurricane Harvey
- DACA advocates march in front of Abilene City Hall
- Local officers collected tips at Red Robin for Special Olympics Texas
- Busch Jewelers in Abilene going out of business after 73 years
- School fair taking place in Abilene to answer questions about college
- Wanted: 10 fugitives sought by Abilene police
- Former HPU nursing school dean responds to students' lawsuits
- Brownwood man sentenced to 20 years in connection with 8-year-old boy's death
- Samuel Juarez Jr. guilty of manslaughter in death of Brownwood boy
- Ft. Hood soldier who led Brown County deputies on chase turns himself in
- Day 1 wraps for murder trial of Brownwood hit-and-run suspect
- Murder trial begins Tuesday for Brownwood hit-and-run suspect
- Anson man indicted for indecency with a child
- 2 arrested for allegedly distributing meth across 3 counties
- Hawley residents blame road conditions on FM 3326 for fatal crash
- Austin couple arrested in Winters for 234 pounds of marijuana
- Snyder man arrested for indecency with child
- Woodson ISD launches investigation into superintendent's sudden resignation