Abilene Police Det. Ernest Moscarelli reiterated how bad the smell was in the Klapheke home and noted what appeared to be chemical burns on the child. Other witnesses included Abilene police detectives Eric Vickers and Jeff Cowan, along with officer Wallace McDaniel.

All witnesses, except Jones, will be subject to recall.

During Wednesday's opening statements, Klapheke’s defense attorney George Parnham told the six-man, six-woman jury that insanity is not an issue in the trial. He instead talked of the abuse and neglect Klapheke allegedly suffered as a child and a disorder that he said she has.

When entering a plea before opening statements, Klapheke told the jury that she pleaded "not guilty, ladies and gentlemen." Klapheke could be seen tearing up during parts of the opening statements.

In addition to saying Klapheke was abused and neglected as a child, Parnham said Klapheke suffers from “reactive attachment disorder.”

According to the Mayo Clinic, reactive attachment disorder occurs when individuals don’t establish healthy bonds with parents or caregivers. It is the result of neglect, abuse or being orphaned. It develops when a child’s basic needs for comfort, affection and nurturing aren't met and loving, caring attachments with others aren’t ever established, the Mayo Clinic said.

Also during opening statements, prosecutors said Tamryn was left locked in a room for about four days before Klapheke found her unresponsive  and tried to revive her with cold water.

The prosecution detailed the events leading up to Tamryn Klapheke’s death:

*- During July and August 2012, Tiffany Klapheke was often gone from midnight to about 4 a.m. while former Dyess Air Force Base airman Christopher Perez was living there.

*- On Aug. 22, 2012 she called a man named Lenny Guzman to babysit so she could get a tattoo. It’s a Chinese symbol of the mother and daughter with the birthdates of the children.

*- Aug. 24, 2012 -- four days before Tamryn's death -- was the last time Tamryn’s diaper was changed. Tamryn was locked in her room until her death.

*- On Aug. 27, 2012, Tiffany Klapheke went to Walmart at night and bought the girls some new outfits

*- On Aug. 28, 2012, Tiffany Klapheke wanted to bathe the oldest girls (including Tamryn) and realized Tamryn was unresponsive. She tried to revive her with cold water, and when that didn’t work, she called 911.

*- A Child Protective Services caseworker failed to close a 2011 case involving the Klaphekes in the computer system – and that’s why it was closed incorrectly in 2012.

“I anticipate there will be some blame thrown at CPS,” prosecutor Arimy Beasley said, adding “You will not hear that the defendant is insane. You will not hear that she’s incompetent.”

Meanwhile, the defense said the case isn’t about an insanity plea but that they plan to concentrate on Klapheke’s childhood and what’s made her who she is.

“Insanity is not an issue here,” Parnham said. “We are all born into this world without a choice of the circumstances in which we are born.”

The defense said Klapheke was sexually abused by her biological family and later abandoned  –  and that her adoptive father began sexually abusing her.

Consequently, the defense said, she suffers from the disorder that prevents her from bonding with people and that she did love her child – in her own way.

About Tiffany Klapheke’s childhood and adult life, Parnham said:

*- Tiffany Klapheke's birth mother was sexually abused.

*- Klapheke's brother was the product of a rape.

*- Her older sister – who Klapheke was close to – was eventually abandoned by birth mother and ended up abandoning her own kids.

*- Klapheke doesn’t know who her father is.

*- She was sexually abused since age 5.