Hodge, the pediatrician, said she contacted the Dyess Family Advocacy Center more than once about the Klapheke household and that the Family Advocacy Center would then contact the state Child Protective Services.

CPS's handling of the case has come under fire since Tamryn's death.

Four  former Child Protective Service workers – and one current employee – are on the witness list for the trial.

All had some involvement in the Klapheke investigation that CPS undertook before the child died.

Only one is still working for CPS.  The others either resigned or were fired by the agency because of their involvement in the Klapheke investigation.


Tuesday, Feb. 4 (Day 7)

Potential witness can testify despite speaking with accused mother

Tiffany Klapheke’s adoptive mother can be called as a defense witness despite prosecution’s claim Klapheke’s calls to her from jail – since the trial began – violated a rule prohibiting witnesses from speaking about the case.

That’s according to District Judge Lee Hamilton, who listened to prosecutors and Klapheke’s defense attorneys before making the decision.

Klapheke, 23, is facing injury to a child charges in connection with toddler daughter Tamryn’s August 2012 death. Authorities have said her 22-month-old child died from malnutrition and dehydration.

Prosecutors allege the witness rule was violated when Klapheke called Tina Romano, who lives in Kentucky, last Thursday – during the fourth day of the trial – and on Saturday and Sunday.

During the phone conversations, Klapheke and Romano talked about another media outlet's unfair news coverage and about Tamryn's autopsy photos.

In one part of the calls, Klapheke speculated about tampering of evidence in her case, alleging the prosecution may have motive.

Previous story:

Thomas and Tiffany Klapheke were investigated for domestic violence in April 2010, more than two years before the Klaphekes’ toddler daughter Tamryn died from what authorities have said was severe neglect.

Ed Wilcock, a social worker with the Dyess Family Advocacy Center, made that revelation Tuesday during the seventh day of the child neglect trial of Tiffany Klapheke.

In addition, Wilcock testified the three Klapheke daughters – Tamryn, Tatum and Taberlee – weren't brought in for medical appointments on Dyess Air Force Base eight or nine times.

Wilcock said he told Klapheke her children were fragile and needed proper nutrition to prevent serious problems or even death. He also said parenting classes, nurse home visits and mental health services were available on base for the Klaphekes.

According to Wilcock, the Dyess investigation of the Klapheke home was closed in December 2011 after improvement was observed.

Tamryn was found dead at the Klapheke home on Dyess Air Force Base on Aug. 28, 2012. Authorities have said the 22-month-old child died from malnutrition and dehydration.

Siblings Tatum and Taberlee were hospitalized and barely survived the supposed neglect.

Klapheke was charged with first-degree felony injury to a child. If convicted, the jury could sentence her anywhere from five to 99 years – or life – in prison.

Thomas and Tiffany Klapheke divorced after Tamryn's death. He was voluntarily deployed when the child was found.

Wilcock said he would have advised against his deployment if he had known.