Meanwhile, Dr. Justin Smith, the pediatrician on call at Hendrick Medical Center the night Tamryn died, testified Tuesday about what he saw when he treated Tamryn’s siblings Tatum and Taberlee.

Prosecutors have said Klapheke – before Tamryn’s death – locked the toddler in a room for four days when she found the child dead and called 911.

The two sisters reportedly were suffering from malnutrition and dehydration when they were brought in on Aug. 28, 2012. However, unlike Tamryn, they survived.


Wednesday, Feb. 5 (Day 8)

Surviving daughter was near death when sister found dead, doctor testifies

The youngest of accused mother Tiffany Klapheke’s three daughters was on the verge of death when sister Tamryn was found dead in August 2012, a Fort Worth-based child abuse specialist testified Wednesday.

“I seriously don’t think she (the youngest child who was 6 months old at the time) would have lived another day,” said Dr. Jayme Coffman, a pediatrician and director of the care team at Cook Children’s Medical Center in Fort Worth.

Coffman examined Tamryn's two sisters in late August 2012 – after Klapheke found Tamryn unresponsive and her siblings in pitiful shape at the Klapheke home on Dyess Air Force Base. Then-husband Thomas was deployed.

Klapheke, 23, is facing injury to a child charges in connection with toddler daughter Tamryn’s August 2012 death. Authorities have said her 22-month-old child died from malnutrition and dehydration.

Her two young sisters were also reportedly malnourished and dehydrated but survived. Each of the three Klapheke girls also reportedly suffered chemical burns, believed to be the result of feces on their bodies.

Of the oldest Klapheke child's chemical burns, Coffman said: "This was way beyond a diaper rash. It was like a second-degree burn." The oldest child was age 3 at the time of Tamryn's death.

Coffman said oldest Klapheke child wasn't at risk of immediate death like the youngest child. According to Coffman, the youngest child looked "emaciated."

Meanwhile, a former supervisor over Thomas Klapheke at Dyess AFB said he offered to babysit the children four days before Tamryn died – and Tiffany Klapheke reportedly said she didn't need help.

The Klapheke trial entered its eighth day Wednesday.


Thursday, Feb. 6 (Day 9)

Ex-CPS workers don't want to testify in tragic child death case

Three former Child Protective Services workers don’t want to testify in the trial of Tiffany Klapheke, a 23-year-old woman on trial for the alleged severe neglect of her toddler daughter who ultimately died.

The requests come at a time when CPS continues to face scrutiny for the agency’s handling of the Klapheke case.

Attorneys for ex-CPS Investigator Tiffany Gann, who allegedly had an affair with Klapheke’s husband Thomas after the child’s death, and former CPS supervisors Bit Whitaker and Gretchen Denny have asked that their subpoenas to testify be quashed.

District Judge Lee Hamilton is expected to rule on the motions Friday.

The trial entered it ninth day Thursday.

Whitaker and Denny are persons of interest in the criminal investigation of CPS supervisors that began in 2012 following Tamryn's death.

Their attorneys said it is risky for them to testify in the Klapheke case because it is not yet clear what charges are being considered against them.