Meanwhile, Gann's attorney Jeff Probst has alleged the defense just wants to use Gann to deflect blame from Klapheke since the affair began after Tamryn's death.

The defense believes Gann and Thomas Klapheke talked about Tamryn's death and his role in the home during their alleged relationship – and that Gann was present during the death investigation.

The revelation of the alleged improper relationship involving Klapheke and Gann was reported to CPS leaders on May 23, 2013. The relationship allegedly occurred “in the fall of 2012,” CPS officials said.

Thomas Klapheke, a Dyess airman who was deployed at the time of his daughter’s death, later filed for divorce. Two other Klapheke daughters – who were 3 and 6 months old – were hospitalized after being found in poor condition.

Gann and CPS caseworker Rebecca Tapia were assigned to the Klapheke case. While Gann resigned, Tapia stepped down after officials determined she was aware of Gann’s alleged relationship with Thomas Klapheke, state CPS spokesman Patrick Crimmins has said.

Two other CPS specialists Slade King and Megan Schweigert were reprimanded for being aware of and not disclosing the alleged relationship, CPS officials said. The two, however, never worked on the Klapheke case, according to CPS.

Previous story:

Thomas and Tiffany Klapheke were investigated for domestic violence in April 2010, more than two years before the Klaphekes’ toddler daughter Tamryn died from what authorities have said was severe neglect.

Ed Wilcock, a social worker with the Dyess Family Advocacy Center, made that revelation Tuesday during the seventh day of the child neglect trial of Tiffany Klapheke.

In addition, Wilcock testified the three Klapheke daughters – Tamryn, Tatum and Taberlee – weren't brought in for medical appointments on Dyess Air Force Base eight or nine times.

Wilcock said he told Klapheke her children were fragile and needed proper nutrition to prevent serious problems or even death. He also said parenting classes, nurse home visits and mental health services were available on base for the Klaphekes.

According to Wilcock, the Dyess investigation of the Klapheke home was closed in December 2011 after improvement was observed.

Tamryn was found dead at the Klapheke home on Dyess Air Force Base on Aug. 28, 2012. Authorities have said the 22-month-old child died from malnutrition and dehydration.

Siblings Tatum and Taberlee were hospitalized and barely survived the supposed neglect.

Klapheke was charged with first-degree felony injury to a child. If convicted, the jury could sentence her anywhere from five to 99 years – or life – in prison.

Thomas and Tiffany Klapheke divorced after Tamryn's death. He was voluntarily deployed when the child was found.

Wilcock said he would have advised against his deployment if he had known.

Meanwhile, Dr. Justin Smith, the pediatrician on call at Hendrick Medical Center the night Tamryn died, testified Tuesday about what he saw when he treated Tamryn’s siblings Tatum and Taberlee.

Prosecutors have said Klapheke – before Tamryn’s death – locked the toddler in a room for four days when she found the child dead and called 911.

The two sisters reportedly were suffering from malnutrition and dehydration when they were brought in on Aug. 28, 2012. However, unlike Tamryn, they survived.


Friday, Feb. 7 (Day 10)

Did ex-husband's mother take out insurance policy before toddler's death?

Defense attorney George Parnham minced no words Friday while questioning the ex-husband of 23-year-old Tiffany Klapheke, who is on trial for severe neglect of toddler daughter Tamryn befor child died.

Parnham asked Thomas Klapheke about a life insurance policy that Thomas’ mother allegedly took out on Tamryn before Thomas voluntarily deployed and before the child’s August 2012 death.