SAN ANTONIO (AP) - San Antonio firefighters say a Komodo dragon has died in a fire at the local zoo.
Authorities said a San Antonio Zoo employee smelled smoke around 6 a.m. near the reptile area. Zoo officials found that one of the Komodo dragons had died in the fire.
Other animals were safely evacuated from the smoke.
According to National Geographic, Komodo dragons can grow to 10 feet long and more than 300 pounds, making them the heaviest known lizards. They are considered an endangered species.
Authorities continue to investigate how the fire started.
- Updated Hunters charged in Texas shooting who had blamed immigrants
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Severe weather possible tonight, sunshine back tomorrow
- Updated Texas high school transgender wrestler wins regional title
- Updated Man arrested for slaying of Caldwell County woman
- Stepson talks how shooter, victim met before San Angelo murder-suicide