SAN ANTONIO (AP) - San Antonio firefighters say a Komodo dragon has died in a fire at the local zoo.
Authorities said a San Antonio Zoo employee smelled smoke around 6 a.m. near the reptile area. Zoo officials found that one of the Komodo dragons had died in the fire.
Other animals were safely evacuated from the smoke.
According to National Geographic, Komodo dragons can grow to 10 feet long and more than 300 pounds, making them the heaviest known lizards. They are considered an endangered species.
Authorities continue to investigate how the fire started.
- Updated Endwell, New York, wins Little League World Series
- Updated College Station police say 2 killed in apartment gunfire
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Lingering rain chances through the week
- Updated Dallas police squelch critics, questions about sniper attack
- Updated Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire