SAN ANTONIO (AP) - San Antonio firefighters say a Komodo dragon has died in a fire at the local zoo.
Authorities said a San Antonio Zoo employee smelled smoke around 6 a.m. near the reptile area. Zoo officials found that one of the Komodo dragons had died in the fire.
Other animals were safely evacuated from the smoke.
According to National Geographic, Komodo dragons can grow to 10 feet long and more than 300 pounds, making them the heaviest known lizards. They are considered an endangered species.
Authorities continue to investigate how the fire started.
- Updated Abilene murder suspect captured in Arlington
- Trump makes unusual swing through Texas
- Texas fines testing vendor $5.7M, demands $15M in upgrades
- Too much homework? Not in this Texas classroom. None at all. None all year
- Abilene police seeking suspect who drove girlfriend to Tuscola, assaulted her