ABILENE,Texas - After flames tore through a Matador Street home on Dec. 29, three Abilenians suddenly found themselves homeless.
Kathy Heard, her boyfriend, and her son-in-law are on their last dime and living at a family friend's house after flames engulfed their home, but the heart of one local citizen has given the family renewed hope.
"I’m sure that was a terrible experience, losing your home and everything in it," said Marge Rainwater. "I had all these clothes that I needed to get rid of so I thought I would call and see if I can help her in any way."
The majority of Heard's belongings inside the house are gone, along with their only means of transportation.
"I think that's what God wants us to do, to give back to any person that needs help because that can happen to us," Rainwater said.
Heard was emotional when she and her family got the unexpected news of generosity from a stranger, but she said her faith is helping her.
"I say my prayers every night. God please help me get through this I can't do it alone," Heard said.
Without it, she knows she won't make it through this trying time.
"It's been hard. I've had a hard time with a lot of things but it's looking up some. We're going to make it with God's help and the people around here that have helped us. We're going to make it, we're really going to make it," Heard said.
The family said they won't forget Rainwater's help.
"Somebody actually cares. She's the first one that's came over and that makes me feel good. She has to be my Godsent angel," said Heard.
- 6 cows killed, deputy hurt in suspected drunk driving crash
- Residents of community near Snyder report not having water since Wednesday
- Texas wife sentenced to prison for killing officer husband
- Kidnapped Border Patrol agent says he feared for family
- 3-year-old boy dies after he's found in hot car in Texas
- State cornhole championship held in Abilene
- 5 car wreck on Winters Freeway, 1 injured
- 24-hour amateur radio field day taking place this weekend
- 2 taken to Abilene hospital after vehicle strikes go-kart
- CityLink addresses driver shortage with pay bump
- Friends of the Library raises over $60,000 at annual Abilene book sale
- Amputee golf tournament taking place at Lake Brownwood
- Owner of Brownwood restaurant and motel disputes $97,000 fine for health violations
- Budget shortfall affecting maintenance at Texas state parks
- Brownwood ISD, emergency agencies conduct response drills
- Early ISD continuing research on proposal to arm teachers, staff
- 4th of July celebrations around the Big Country
- Area's best showcase their stuff in the State Lineman Challenge
- Train derailed by strong winds in Mitchell County
- More than 100 barrels of oil stolen from Nolan County drilling company
- Brownwood battles heat, snags 7-on-7 state spot in duel with Merkel
- Wanted Wednesday: Abilene police looking for 2 capital murder suspects
- Police arrest 2 Abilene men for stealing car, breaking into 'numerous' vehicles in Merkel