COLORADO CITY, Texas - The Wolves are howling into the third round of the UIL football postseason, one of thirteen Big Country high schools lucky enough to be playing on the first day of December.
C-City is the last remaining area school in class 3A division II, and just may be the hottest team in the area.
The wolves cruised past Tolar last week, but it’s something that's pretty much what they've done all season. Barring an early loss, there’s been nothing left of teams standing in their way, as Dan Gainey’s bunch have reeled off 11-straight wins, to sit at 11-1 on the year and now, they’re in uncharted waters.
It's the first time in five years that Colorado City has made the regional semi-finals, powered by a defense that's allowing just eight points a game.
But the Wolves don't care about streaks. They're locked in on playing their best football at the right time.
"Some of these kids you could ask them, 'How many games y'all won in a row?' And they might not even be able to tell you because they are so focused on what is right in front of them,” said Wolves coach Dan Gainey. “That's been a good thing this year. I don't think they've felt any pressure at any point during the season about streaks, or even defensively when we went several weeks without giving up a touchdown."
"They didn't think twice about it. It's just let's go play."
Colorado City battles No. 5 Canadian on Friday for the regional semifinal. Kick-off is 7 p.m. inside Vernon Lions Stadium. The winner of that game will have a date in the region 1-3A DII final against either Sonora or Childress.
- Updated New tax code will still be complicated despite GOP promise to simplify
- Knife-wielding man shot by Austin officer
- KTXS Forecast: Warm temperatures this week
- Man who Fort Worth police say pulled gun shot by officers
- Feds: Oklahoma man kept stepdaughter captive for 19 years; fathered her 9 children
- Update: Abilene police find missing ‘mentally challenged' man
- TxDOT: Hwy 351 at I-20 now 'fully' open to traffic
- Warrant: Abilene man used cell phone to force girl into sex for 4 years
- Abilene police: Elderly man paid to watch, have sex with teens
- Prostitution bust at north Abilene massage parlor
- Abilene police arrest Grinch who tried to steal Christmas
- Man arrested in Brownwood's largest meth bust gets indicted
- City of Early declines using taxpayer funds to pay for lobbyist
- Thousands of toys and dollars collected at Brownwood toy drive
- Brownwood approves retaining a lobbyist after 2 people speak up against it
- Ranger College releases settlement with former professor over sexual harassment allegations
- Brown County veteran being sued by hospital for unpaid fees
- Snow in Abilene & the Big Country for Christmas? Maybe, maybe not
- Clyde man indicted for sexual assault
- Dallas Cowboys apologize to Coleman family for mistreatment of their handicapped daughter
- Big County couple says AT&T Stadium mistreated their handicapped daughter
- 1 killed, 2 injured in I-20 crash near Colorado City
- After 5-1 school board vote, Chris Hagler's contract renewed with Anson