FORT LAUDERDALE, Florida - Fort Lauderdale police arrested 9 people accused of looting three businesses despite dangerous winds and heavy rain from Hurricane Irma.
According to WPLG, the ABC-affiliate in Miami, the looters broke the front window of a Simon's Sportswear, climbed through the hole in the broken glass and came back out with what appeared to be boxes of tennis shoes.
The same group then looted a Footlocker and CashAmerica Pawn Store in the same area, WPLG reported.
Hours later, the Fort Lauderdale Police Department tweeted that they had caught the looters.
"Going to prison over a pair of sneakers is a fairly bad life choice," said Fort Lauderdale police chief Rick Maglione. "Stay home and look after your loved once and be thankful they are all safe.”
- 1 killed, 2 injured in I-20 crash near Colorado City
- $14.25 million lottery prize claimed two days before ticket bought in Abilene expired
- Former Texas teacher arrested for inappropriate relationship with a minor
- Viral photo shows baby on Santa's lap giving sign for 'help'
- KTXS Forecast: Warmer Wednesday weather
- Fake City of Abilene Facebook page removed, unclear who took it down
- Abilene police chief calls solving year-old murder of Abilene realtor ‘very high priority'
- Shipping deadlines quickly approaching for Christmas
- Abilene police buy presents for 'Operation Blue Santa'
- Abilene house fire leaves $30,000 in damages
- City of Abilene asks public for feedback on Lake Kirby
- Brown County veteran being sued by hospital for unpaid fees
- Brown County capital murder suspect waives arriagnment
- Former Brown County teacher arrested for having improper relationship with student
- Brownwood holds its annual Lighted Christmas Parade
- Records: Brown County game warden fired for sending nude photos, racist text messages
- Old Brownwood fire station sold to make way for fast food restaurant
- Ranger College releases settlement with former professor over sexual harassment allegations
- Fire engulfs trailer house in Tye
- Stamford's James Washington claims Biletnikoff Award as nation's best receiver
- 27 indicted by Taylor County grand jury
- DPS identifies construction worker killed by 18-wheeler on I-20 in Sweetwater
- Mother of Big Country sexual assault victim speaks out