MERKEL, Texas - A major accident shut down for about one and one-half hours the eastbound lanes of Interstate 20 at Merkel, about 15 miles west of Abilene.
The freeway was being cleared of the accident and debris and was expected to reopen shortly after 4 p.m., as soon as the Department of Public Safety concluded its accident investigation.
For about 90 minutes, law enforcement officers sent traffic through Merkel and onto side roads to get around the accident, which was located near mile marker 269.
Unconfirmed reports indicated that the accident may have involved a private vehicle and an 18-wheeler. There were reports of debris littering the freeway at the scene.
Photos showed a small yellow sports car was involved, and the accident ripped off one side of the vehicle.
There was no word on how many vehicles were involved and no word on injuries.
KTXS News has a crew en route to the scene and will provide updates at the 5 and 6 p.m. newscasts.
- Updated Ex-Abilene day care teacher fails to show for trial, warrant issued
- Updated Hunters, Abilene charity anticipate start of dove hunting season
- Updated Police: 20-year-old arrested for sexual assault of Brownwood teen
- Updated Convicted man on Texas Most Wanted sex offender list caught
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Thundershower chances stay in the forecast
- Construction to begin on Highway 351 in north Abilene
- Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire
- Clyde community raises money for family after car accident
- Enrollment up at Abilene, Wylie school districts
- Associated Press releases it's Texas high school football rankings for Week 1
- Santa Anna man, 28, arrested on drug charges in Coleman
- Texas recognizes Brown County gun store as oldest in state
- Clyde family raising money for son nearly paralyzed in wreck
- City of Early budget proposal includes property tax increase
- Active search over, suspect avoids arrest after high-speed Big Country chase