WACO, Texas (AP) - A man who pleaded guilty for his role in the stabbing deaths of three teens at Lake Waco in 1982 has died.
Texas Department of Criminal Justice spokesman Jason Clark tells the Waco Tribune-Herald that 57-year-old Anthony Melendez died Friday in prison hospice.
Melendez was serving life in prison after pleading guilty to two counts of murder.
Authorities have said 17-year-old Jill Montgomery and two friends were killed because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Prosecutors said a man hired David Spence to kill a girl but he mistook Montgomery for that girl. According to trial testimony, Melendez and his brother helped Spence carry out the killings.
Gilbert Melendez died in 1998 while serving a life sentence. Spence was executed in 1997.
- City of Abilene receives $18.37 million for smart water meters
- City of Abilene asks public for feedback on Lake Kirby
- Police pursuit ends with Abilene suspect in custody
- Authorities identify shooter who killed 2 at New Mexico high school
- Police: Texas father defends family by shooting, killing restaurant robbery suspect
- Abilene police: Fake carjacking led to SWAT standoff
- 27 indicted by Taylor County grand jury
- Abilene couple robbed at gunpoint while sitting at stoplight
- Indicted: Man accused of robbing Abilene scrap metal business while wearing ‘Scream' mask
- WATCH: Abilene VFW remembers attack on Pearl Harbor
- Health Department: No bed bugs at Mall of Abilene playground
Copyright 2017 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Former Brown County teacher arrested for having improper relationship with student
- Brownwood holds its annual Lighted Christmas Parade
- Records: Brown County game warden fired for sending nude photos, racist text messages
- Old Brownwood fire station sold to make way for fast food restaurant
- School zone signs placed near Brown County Christian school
- Pregnant woman who led Brownwood officers on chase indicted
- DPS identifies construction worker killed by 18-wheeler on I-20 in Sweetwater
- Mother of Big Country sexual assault victim speaks out
- Rain hits Big Country, wintry mix in some areas
- Sweetwater teen in critical condition after being hit by pickup
- DPS identifies woman killed in fiery crash last week near Winters
- Man dies in Hamlin police custody, Texas Rangers investigating