AUBURN HILLS, Mich. - Dirk Nowitzki scored 24 points, Vince Carter added 18 and the Dallas Mavericks held off the Detroit Pistons for a 113-102 victory Saturday night.
Dallas had surprising success on the boards against Detroit's imposing front line. The Mavericks finished with 16 offensive rebounds. The Pistons, who came in as the NBA's top team in that department, had only nine.
Detroit star Andre Drummond was in foul trouble all night and finished with only eight points and three rebounds in just under 20 minutes of action.
Josh Smith kept the Pistons in the game for a while and finished with 32 points, his most since signing with Detroit last offseason.
Monta Ellis had 12 points and 13 assists for the Mavericks.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Updated Video of woman chasing cat on Texas tollway prompts warning
- Updated Perfect strangers perform unforgettable duet at Texas hospital
- Updated Abilene man, 32, sentenced to 18 years for June 2014 shooting death
- Updated New Mexico governor: 10-year-old girl's death worst she's seen
- Updated Texas man charged with beheading wife after police visit