AUBURN HILLS, Mich. - Dirk Nowitzki scored 24 points, Vince Carter added 18 and the Dallas Mavericks held off the Detroit Pistons for a 113-102 victory Saturday night.
Dallas had surprising success on the boards against Detroit's imposing front line. The Mavericks finished with 16 offensive rebounds. The Pistons, who came in as the NBA's top team in that department, had only nine.
Detroit star Andre Drummond was in foul trouble all night and finished with only eight points and three rebounds in just under 20 minutes of action.
Josh Smith kept the Pistons in the game for a while and finished with 32 points, his most since signing with Detroit last offseason.
Monta Ellis had 12 points and 13 assists for the Mavericks.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Security guard fatally shot at Central Texas Subway sandwich shop
- Drive-by shooter targets police substation in Dallas
- Emmy-winning actor and Fort Worth native Bill Paxton, 61, dies from surgery complications
- KTXS Forecast: Breezy and sunny days ahead, a cool down on the way
- Joseph Wapner, star of 'The People's Court,' dead at 97
- Chili Day and Auction raises money for children's programs
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Workshop at ACU gets people ready for gardening season
- McMurry professor highlights 181st anniversary of the Battle of the Alamo
- State seeks death penalty for man accused of killing correctional officer
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash