ABILENE, Texas - After impressive performances over the weekend, McMurry soccer's Alex Chavez, plus HSU's Sara Krisa (soccer) and Sydney Tencate (cross country) have earned American Southwest Conference Player of the Week honors.
Alex Chavez (McMurry men's soccer):
The McMurry University senior goalkeeper was named as a Conference soccer Defensive Player of the Week. Chavez – and the War Hawks (3-1) – shutout both foes faced last week, as the team is off to its second-best start in school history.
Chavez played a key role in keeping both opponents – Southwestern Adventist University and Westminster (Mo.) College - at bay last week, also notching his third shutout of the year (one shared). Against SAU on the road, Chavez was the starter and played 45 minutes in McMurry’s 6-0 thrashing of the Knights. He had one save.
But in the War Hawks’ upset victory over 2016 NCAA III second-round playoff team Westminster – he was in the nets for all 90 minutes - on Saturday is where Chavez shined brightest. Chavez had eight saves against the Blue Jays and three were in one-on-one situations, preserving the shutout until McM scored in the 87th minute for the 1-0 win.
“I’m really happy for Alex earning this honor for many reasons,” McM head coach Tyler Tarango said. “Obviously, being honored by the ASC is special in itself but, more than that, it validates that Alex’s hard work on his off-season conditioning and workouts are paying off now when it counts. That is an example to our younger players and sets the tone that allows our program to improve and grow stronger.”
On the 2017 season, Chavez has a sterling 0.29 goals against average. He has a total of 13 saves and has a .929 saves percentage.
Sara Krisa (HSU women's soccer)
The Hardin-Simmons junior midfielder had a goal against Wartburg, but her real strength came in leading the Cowgirl defense from her defensive midfielders position.
She won a lot of balls in the middle of the field and helped the #8 Cowgirls limit their two opponents to a total of just three shots on goal, earning a 4-0 win against Wartburg and 7-0 victory over Aurora.
Sydney Tencate (HSU cross country)
The Junior from Moran H.S. captured the Women's Runner of the Week award after lowering her school record time in the 5K with a time of 18:35.42 to win the HSU Invitational.
The race was her second win of the season, securing ASC Runner of the Week honors for the second consecutive week and third time in her career.
- Abilene house fire leaves $30,000 in damages
- Police pursuit ends with Abilene suspect in custody
- Abilene police: Fake carjacking led to SWAT standoff
- 27 indicted by Taylor County grand jury
- Abilene couple robbed at gunpoint while sitting at stoplight
- Indicted: Man accused of robbing Abilene scrap metal business while wearing ‘Scream' mask
Copyright 2017 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Former Brown County teacher arrested for having improper relationship with student
- Brownwood holds its annual Lighted Christmas Parade
- Records: Brown County game warden fired for sending nude photos, racist text messages
- Old Brownwood fire station sold to make way for fast food restaurant
- School zone signs placed near Brown County Christian school
- Pregnant woman who led Brownwood officers on chase indicted
- DPS identifies construction worker killed by 18-wheeler on I-20 in Sweetwater
- Mother of Big Country sexual assault victim speaks out
- Rain hits Big Country, wintry mix in some areas
- Sweetwater teen in critical condition after being hit by pickup
- DPS identifies woman killed in fiery crash last week near Winters
- Man dies in Hamlin police custody, Texas Rangers investigating