NEW YORK (AP) - It's one of the greatest sporting moments of the 20th century: the winning goal Mike Eruzione scored against the Soviet hockey team at the 1980 Winter Olympics.
Now the 58-year-old "Miracle On Ice" captain is parting with his iconic No. 21 USA jersey, hockey stick and other Olympic paraphernalia.
Heritage Auctions is selling them in New York on Feb. 23 to commemorate the 33rd anniversary of the historic game. The white jersey is expected to fetch more than $1 million.
Sports memorabilia experts said it could go considerably higher. They said the game was as much about history as it was about sports because of its timing during the Cold War.
The Americans beat the favored Soviet team 4-3.
- Forecasters say parts of Texas – including Abilene – face critical wildfire danger
- 3 arrested for engaging in organized crime in San Angelo
- Job fair to be held at Abilene Convention Center
- House speaker getting firsthand look at US-Mexico border
- KTXS Forecast: Very warm tomorrow but a cool down to look forward to by the end of the week
- Abilene woman reunited with sister after travel ban struck down
- Man in custody after four-hour standoff in north Abilene
- John Lackey commemorative billboard to serve multiple purposes
- Recycling, parking, discussed at special Abilene City Council meeting
- Abilene police receive $10,000 donation for new K-9