Posted: Jul 19, 2013 01:00 AM CDT
Updated: May 17, 2016 10:42 AM CDT
Real estate site Movoto recently compiled a list of the 10 most exciting cities in America.
Movoto’s Top 10 may run counter to popular opinion: Chicago is not even on the list. But Movoto says it based the rankings off off characteristics they believe lead to a happy city life.
Keep you and your friends and family healthy and safe over the Fourth of July weekend with these tips.
There were also two negative indicators: The number of fast food restaurants and Targets/Wal-marts. The fewer of each per square mile, the more unique and enjoyable the city is.
10. Portland, Ore. -- Scoring high on music venues and movie theaters per square mile, Portland's cultural scene catapulted it to the Top 10.
9. Philadelphia -- Philly's strengths are museums and diversity.
8. Atlanta -- Despite unfavorable scores on the number of fast food restaurants per square mile and park acreage per person, Atlanta's young population, bars and music scene secured it as No. 8.
7. Milwaukee -- "Brew city is simply solid on all of our criteria," writes Movoto Real Estate.
5. Washington, D.C . -- Apart from being home to our nations politicians, D.C. contains beautiful national museums and parks (and ranks high in the number of bars per square mile).
4. Seattle -- Movoto says Seattle has inspired the creation of many things, including the "50 Shades of Grey" books. We can only guess that rainy weather has led to a bustling music and bar scene.
3. San Francisco -- Movoto ranked the City by the Bay high for its vibrant arts and music scene.
2. Boston -- Sporting a young population and a high number of bars and movie theatres, Boston sounds like nice place for a Friday night.
1. Oakland, Calif. -- Scoring the highest on the number of movie theatres and museums per square mile, Oakland never ceases to amaze, according to Movoto.