MAPLETON, Utah (AP) - The Latest on a Utah family found dead in an apparent murder suicide (all times local):
Utah police say a family of four from Switzerland was found shot to death in their home in an apparent murder-suicide.
Mapleton Police Chief John Jackson said in a statement Friday the family moved to the small town of Mapleton months ago after 45-year-old Timothy Griffith got a job in Utah.
He was found dead Thursday along with his 42-year-old wife Jessica Griffith, his 16-year-old stepdaughter Samantha Badel and 5-year-old son Alexendre Griffith. Police have said the family dog was also killed in the shooting.
They were found after one family member failed to show up for work and neighbors noticed the family cars hadn't moved. Police say authorities are doing autopsies on the bodies to learn more about exactly what happened in the home.
Police in a northern Utah town are investigating after a family of four and a dog were found dead with gunshot wounds in what is believed to be a murder suicide.
Mapleton Police Chief John Jackson said in a statement Friday that officers the night before had found the bodies of a man, woman, teenage girl and young boy inside the family's home after receiving a call to check on them.
Jackson says one family member had failed to show up for work, and neighbors said the family's cars had not moved and lights had not been turned off for days.
Police have not yet released the identities of those involved or offered further details about what led to the killings.
Mapleton has a population of about 9,500 and sits about 10 miles (16.09 kilometers) south of Provo.
- Police continuing search for Abilene car chase suspect
- 26 indicted by Taylor County grand jury
- Two indicted for July murder of Abilene teen
- Former Abilene ISD teacher indicted for biting autistic student
- School fair taking place in Abilene to answer questions about college
- Man being pulled by huskies across U.S. stops in Abilene to raise awareness
- Blankinship's family says they can begin healing after suspect's arrest
- Brownwood murder suspect shared Facebook posts about victim in days after her death
- Sheriff: Brownwood man confesses in church to killing Chantay Blankinship
- Brown County Sheriff: Murder suspect wasn't ‘on radar' until composite sketch released
- Parents of Brownwood murder victim break down in tears when talking about arrest of alleged killer
- 3 arrested in drug bust near Bangs school
- Hawley parent: Son did not make threats against school
- Police investigating early morning shooting in Sweetwater
- Underground silo shows Cold War history in the Big Country
- 106-year-old train depot in Snyder torn down
- Superintendent: Student detained after terroristic threat in Hawley ISD
- Wednesday rainfall totals: Big Country areas register up to 1.5 inches of rain