DALLAS (AP) -

Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins says his county won't take in any immigrant children crossing the Texas border illegally, a reversal of his earlier offer to house as many as 2,000 kids.

Jenkins told reporters Thursday that federal officials have notified him that they no longer need space in Dallas.

Thousands of unaccompanied children have crossed the border into the United States from Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras.

Jenkins announced last month that Dallas County would help federal facilities overwhelmed by undocumented children. In recent weeks, he met with President Barack Obama and local community leaders on immigration and how to deal with the children.