BROWNWOOD, Texas - Brownwood police, the Brown County Sheriff’s Office and Early Police Department are celebrating a big victory in the war on drugs.
Wednesday morning, the three agencies served a search warrant at a home in the 500 block of 7th Street in Brownwood. They seized 1.5 pounds of methamphetamine.
According to a news release from the Brownwood Police Department, it is the “single largest seizure of methamphetamine in the City of Brownwood.”
PHOTO GALLERY --> http://www.ktxs.com/news/265045670
"One thing that's significant about this arrest and seizure is that these drugs were intended for the streets of Brownwood and Brown County," Brownwood Police Chief Terry Nichols said.
Juanita Villarreal, 47, and Pascual Castaneda Sr., 52, were arrested and charged with manufacture/delivery of a controlled substance over 400 grams.
Police said they suspect the drugs came from Mexico.
"She was bringing it up from Mexico and making a pretty good contributing factor to the meth sales here," Early Police Chief David Mercer said.
Nichols doesn't believe the meth epidemic is isolated only to Brownwood and Brown County.
"Texas has challenges," he said. "We're so close to the source, Mexico, that it's difficult and you'll see these kind of quantities."
The investigation is ongoing and more arrests are anticipated.
Both Villarreal and Castaneda remain in jail each on a $50,000 bond, according to Brown County Jail records.
- Abilene house fire leaves $30,000 in damages
- Police pursuit ends with Abilene suspect in custody
- Abilene police: Fake carjacking led to SWAT standoff
- 27 indicted by Taylor County grand jury
- Abilene couple robbed at gunpoint while sitting at stoplight
- Indicted: Man accused of robbing Abilene scrap metal business while wearing ‘Scream' mask
Copyright 2017 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Former Brown County teacher arrested for having improper relationship with student
- Brownwood holds its annual Lighted Christmas Parade
- Records: Brown County game warden fired for sending nude photos, racist text messages
- Old Brownwood fire station sold to make way for fast food restaurant
- School zone signs placed near Brown County Christian school
- Pregnant woman who led Brownwood officers on chase indicted
- DPS identifies construction worker killed by 18-wheeler on I-20 in Sweetwater
- Mother of Big Country sexual assault victim speaks out
- Rain hits Big Country, wintry mix in some areas
- Sweetwater teen in critical condition after being hit by pickup
- DPS identifies woman killed in fiery crash last week near Winters
- Man dies in Hamlin police custody, Texas Rangers investigating