SAN ANGELO, Texas -- - Police say a 3-year-old San Angelo boy shot himself in the face Monday evening after reportedly retrieving a loaded handgun from a couch while in the living room with family members.
According to law enforcement, the shooting at a residence in the 700 block of East Harris Avenue is believed to have been accidental.
No other family members were injured in a shooting that occurred about 6 p.m. Monday, police said.
The child was transported by private vehicle to Shannon Medical Center in San Angelo before later being flown to Cook Children’s Medical Center in Fort Worth, where he remained in stable condition Tuesday.
“This is an active investigation and no further information is available for release," San Angelo police said in a news release. “Charges are pending the outcome of this investigation.”
KTXS will provide additional details as they become available.
- South Abilene Chik-fil-A closing for renovations
- Teen driving on Winters Freeway falls asleep, truck flips, lands upside down
- McMurry University set to demolish student art gallery
- Abilene woman advocates for HIV testing after losing brother to AIDS
- ACU football player accused of sexually assaulting intoxicated woman at party
- Thousands of painkillers missing from south Abilene pharmacy
- Brown County zoo owner blames high taxes as reason for shut down
- Bond reduction hearing rescheduled for Brownwood homicide suspect
- Ranger College to address 'misinformation' about tax referendum
- Brown County to allow fireworks on the 4th despite burn ban
- Former Brownwood High School coach indicted for having sex with student
- Brownwood council members to vote on denying electric rate hikes
- Court declines to review Snyder man's murder conviction because of long petition
- Train derailment: Whipped cream melts into creek near Colorado City, results in fish kill
- Whipped dairy topping causes fishkill in creek near Colorado City
- Taylor County urges ‘extreme caution' with fireworks on the 4th
- Taylor County firework stands open, officials offer tips for firework safety
- Residents of community near Snyder report not having water since Wednesday