WASHINGTON (CNN) - President Donald Trump called North Korean leader Kim Jong Un a "madman" Friday morning, the latest escalation in their combative rhetoric.
"Kim Jong Un of North Korea, who is obviously a madman who doesn't mind starving or killing his people, will be tested like never before!" Trump wrote in an early morning tweet.
The threatening message came hours after the rogue nation's foreign minister said that North Korea could test a powerful nuclear weapon over the Pacific Ocean in response to Trump's threats of military action.
Ri Yong Ho spoke to reporters in New York shortly after Kim made an unprecedented televised statement, accusing Trump of being "mentally deranged."
On Tuesday, Trump threatened to "totally destroy" North Korea in a speech to the UN General Assembly if it moves against the US or its allies.
- Former Abilene mayor Norm Archibald named 2017 Citizen of the Year
- Brownwood man sentenced to 20 years in connection with 8-year-old boy's death
- Police report: $5,000 embezzled from Abilene youth football organization
- Updated AFD gets call for fire after 10-year-old drops cigarette at trailer house
- Abilene man, 21, sentenced to 15 years for shooting mother in head
- 21 indicted by Taylor County grand jury
- 2 Abilene men indicted for sharing child porn
- Abilene woman arrested after young child tests positive for cocaine, other drugs
- Abilene woman talks about scary moment inside elevator with panhandler
- School fair taking place in Abilene to answer questions about college
- Abilene woman empowered to share story by #MeToo movement
- Former HPU nursing school dean responds to students' lawsuits
- Samuel Juarez Jr. guilty of manslaughter in death of Brownwood boy
- Ft. Hood soldier who led Brown County deputies on chase turns himself in
- Day 1 wraps for murder trial of Brownwood hit-and-run suspect
- Murder trial begins Tuesday for Brownwood hit-and-run suspect
- Brownwood plant manager: No injuries from minor explosion
- Austin couple arrested in Winters for 234 pounds of marijuana
- Hawley residents blame road conditions on FM 3326 for fatal crash
- Snyder man arrested for indecency with child
- Woodson ISD launches investigation into superintendent's sudden resignation
- Remains found in far West Texas believed to be missing elderly Colorado City woman
- Woodson ISD names new interim superintendent after abrupt resignation