ARLINGTON, Texas - Lance Berkman says he is going to keep playing, and will do everything he can to help the Texas Rangers down the stretch.
The 37-year-old designated hitter is on the disabled list with left hip inflammation and having issues with his surgically repaired right knee. But he said Thursday that he's "coming back."
Berkman had been pondering his playing future for several days, and midseason retirement had been a distinct possibility.
Berkman says he feels as if he can push himself and endure some discomfort to try and help the Rangers win. He will join the team on its trip to the West Coast to keep working out, and is targeting Aug. 8 or 9 for the start of a rehab assignment.
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Improvements on way for Abilene Zoo if council approves bid
- Missing elderly woman found stuck in mud by two Abilene men
- Abilene council to consider approving water rate study, audit
- Abilene attorney vying for Abilene City Council Place 3 spot
- Council 'work session' to focus on curbside recycling, downtown Abilene parking