ARLINGTON, Texas - Nelson Cruz homered twice, A.J. Pierzynski drove in three runs and the Texas Rangers snapped a six-game losing streak with an 8-7 win over the AL West-leading Oakland Athletics on Monday night.
The Rangers totaled only eight runs during what was the longest active skid in the majors.
Cruz's second homer was a two-run shot off Jesse Chavez (1-1) on an 0-2 pitch in the fifth inning to put Texas up 7-6. It came right after Pierzynski's RBI double.
Pierzynksi also homered. Cruz added a double in the seventh to match a season high with four RBIs.
Oakland wiped out an early 3-0 deficit with a six-run fourth off rookie Nick Tepesch.
Neal Cotts (3-1) went 2 1-3 innings in relief. Joe Nathan allowed a run in the ninth before earning his 21st save.
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Fire damages north Abilene structure
- Improvements on way for Abilene Zoo if council approves bid
- Missing elderly woman found stuck in mud by two Abilene men
- Abilene council to consider approving water rate study, audit
- Abilene attorney vying for Abilene City Council Place 3 spot